On April 6, 2015, the group of denominational leaders of members of the Canadian Council of Churches sent a letter to the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada with regard to the Canada’s involvement in Iraq and Syria.
In the letter, the religious leaders, while acknowledging the necessity of international community’s constructive involvement in Iraq and Syria, urged the Government of Canada to:
– strengthen diplomatic efforts and make them better known so we can discuss these efforts with others in the Middle East;
– increase further humanitarian assistance to the region and provide robust support for refugees, including consulting with the Sponsorship Agreement Holders Association to coordinate the response in Canada;
– support civil society organizations to contribute to peace and social development over the long term;
– reduce the flow of arms to the region; and
– focus on the protection of the rule of law and respect for human rights, especially through inclusive government structures in Iraq and Syria.